Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Sociological Mindfulness

I feel as though I am subconsciously mindful in a sociological aspect because of my background. For example, with my ethnicity, though in school and in my class, I am seen as equal, it is surprising how many people discriminate against me for the little bit of Native that I am. Because of this I feel as though I must constantly put myself in my family’s shoes being that they are minorities, and then that of those who see me as being different or lesser and why they feel that way.

With my own family I am always criticizing them and why they have degraded their own lives to as worthless as what they are. Then I put myself in their position and you realize, they are not motivated. They have no drive to get up and be successful in their lives and it is hard to motivate yourself when you have no one else to drive you. Therefore, they go nowhere. For those who discriminate against me for being Native, they do not know me, they have not met me. They assume I am like my family who is like every other scuzzy Native you meet. But I put myself in their shoes, they will always assume we are all the same. They don’t are to know me. They have been taught for generations that we are all gross and worthless. And when I put myself in their shoes… I would be just as ignorant as they are too.


In the big picture of society, I see myself as being one little tiny rock in a handful of sand. Nothing special or different or remotely worth noticing. I will work, I will be married and have my kids. I will never leave the rural land of Mid-North America because I do not want to deal with those who try to taint society with their racism and discrimination nor those who live down to those low standards and provide nothing towards society. I will not make a difference, I won’t fight for anything but my kids and my right to be left alone. I won’t go anywhere big and I won’t do anything crazy. I just want to pay my taxes and health insurance and watch Family Guy every night. In society I will be like every other stable middle-class American who turns their head and ignores the big issues that do not affect me. 

1 comment:

  1. Well I bet you will end up playing a larger role in the big picture than you think.

    ReplyDelete